Thursday, February 18, 2010

I had a dream

Last night I dreamed of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I wonder what he would think of us now. Have we realized his dream? Being a white girl from Utah with a black step father and brother and sister I think that I am both lucky and blessed. Blessed because I grew up knowing that while people may look different we are not different. Family and love are powerful things and I wish others could be as blessed as me. I haven't seen them for so long now. I miss you guys.



In my dream I was reciting Dr. King monumental speech. I was telling this guy, I don't know who he was, that it goes both ways. He hated me because I was white. Because of all that had been done. And while I felt that he was justified in his anger I also felt that he shouldn't hold onto it. Dr. King wouldn't want that. His Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ wouldn't want that. When it comes down to the bear essentials of life we are brothers and sister walking on the highway of life. It would be a lot easier to walk that highway if we were holding hands rather than pushing each other off.



I do believe that we are closer to equality than ever before. I know that for myself I can look at someone and see them for who they are, my brother a child of God, and not what they look like. And yet from this dream I feel that there is still a ways to go. I will be pondering this for some time and blogging about it again.

1 comment:

  1. I love that visual of pushing other people off the highway. That's exactly what we do--we're so stupid sometimes!

    ReplyDelete